What is Autism in Children?
Experienced practitioners can usually detect autism in children by age 2, and sometimes by 18 months or younger. In young children, autism usually reveals itself in the form of delayed development in areas such as communication, play and social interaction.
While autism is a lifelong condition presenting a range of challenges, no outcome is a foregone conclusion. Every individual with autism experiences life uniquely, with different symptoms at different levels of severity. When addressed early in life, while the mind is still developing and malleable, symptoms or challenging behaviors can be managed more effectively to improve outcomes over the course of the child’s life.
How to Tell if a Child has Autism
Only a qualified medical practitioner or psychologist can diagnose a child with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Because early intervention is key, however, it is advisable for all parents and caregivers to be aware of the signs of autism in children. If you or your child’s doctor notices symptoms associated with autism, you may be referred to a specialist for an evaluation. Treatment for autism, such as ABA therapy, works best when started in early childhood. The Place for Children with Autism works with clients ages 2 – 6.
- Autism Facts and Statistics
- Autism Risk Factors for Children
- Frequently Asked Questions About Autism
- Signs of Autism in Children
- ADHD Behavior in Autism
- Anxiety in Children with Autism
- Behavioral Problems in Children with Autism
- Challenges with Social Interaction in Children with Autism
- Communication Delay in Children with Autism
- Developmental Delays in Children with Autism
- Emotional Problems in Autism
- Fixations vs Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in Children with Autism
- Health Issues Co-Occurring with Autism
- Potty Training in Children with Autism
- Sensory Processing Issues in Children with Autism
- Stimming, Motor Tics, or Repetitive Behavior in Autism
- What is Autism in Children?
We Change Lives Every Day
Interested in our services and inquiring about placement for your child?
We are now enrolling ages 2-6. Reach out today!