What Is Autism?
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD), commonly known as autism, refers to a complex and broad range of symptoms that may cause social, emotional, and communication challenges. The condition may take the form of repetitive behaviors such as repetitive movements or vocal ticks (stimming), limited language skills, fixations or obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), emotional challenges, sensory processing issues, or some combination of these and other symptoms.
Autism is a lifelong condition which affects everyone differently. Just as symptoms vary widely among individuals on the autism spectrum, outcomes run the gamut of human experience. While some individuals with autism may require daily care throughout life, others learn to function independently, and some lead highly successful, impactful lives.
Interested in ABA therapy for your child?
Treatment for Autism
While there is no cure for ASD, and while neurodiversity should be celebrated, many individuals with autism may benefit from treatment such as ABA therapy. While autism cannot be detected with straightforward medical testing like blood tests, trained practitioners can usually diagnose a child with autism by age 2 or younger. While therapy may be helpful at any stage of life, early intervention is known to produce better outcomes in children with autism.
- Autism Facts and Statistics
- Autism Risk Factors for Children
- Frequently Asked Questions About Autism
- Signs of Autism in Children
- Signs of Autism in Children Ages 18 – 24 months
- Signs of Autism in Children Ages 12 – 18 Months
- Signs of Autism in Children Ages 9 – 12 Months
- Signs of Autism in Children Ages 6 – 9 Months
- Signs of Autism in Children Ages 2 – 6 Months
- ADHD Behavior in Autism
- Anxiety in Children with Autism
- Behavioral Problems in Children with Autism
- Challenges with Social Interaction in Children with Autism
- Communication Delay in Children with Autism
- Developmental Delays in Children with Autism
- Emotional Problems in Autism
- Fixations vs Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in Children with Autism
- Health Issues Co-Occurring with Autism
- Potty Training in Children with Autism
- Sensory Processing Issues in Children with Autism
- Stimming, Motor Tics, or Repetitive Behavior in Autism
- What is Autism in Children?
We Change Lives Every Day
Interested in our services and inquiring about placement for your child?
We are now enrolling ages 2-6. Reach out today!